Wednesday, March 29, 2017


NO CHILDHOOD IS “PERFECT”, NO CHILDHOOD IS THE SAME



In my own personal experience, the stressors I encountered during my young childhood remain troublesome regarding my state of mind. Stressors like WAR between my mom and dad led me -a three year old, afraid of fun and laughter. I feared separation of my mom and I feared my dad’s voice. POVERTY taught me, as a child, to never take anything for granted because the little things that I did have I admired and held on to since I did not often get anything growing up. It was my imagination that gave me everything when I closed my eyes. VIOLENCE raged in my childhood. My dad was an angry man and I didn’t know why. His violence showed through his hands and his actions. I learned not to speak and I learned hard lessons by the whip of a belt. At 5 years old, I did not know any better. I did not know leaving my toys in the hallway was bad or took what I thought was interesting even though it wasn’t mine. By my dad’s violence, I was isolated to my room for hours or days -forgotten. I then learned to isolate myself from even my best friend. The stressors I experienced as a child seemed like a domino effect toppling over one another. Even though my childhood is behind me, I still fear and my emotions today are like tripped wires. But… these stressors have not destroyed me because I found my own identity.
Image result for quotes about childhood

Around the world, there are children who have or are currently struggling with relative stressors as I have experienced or they are experiencing stressors I could not imagine. Every day children are falling victim to stressors that create such a great impact on who they are, how they live, how they grow, and how their childhood evolves. Not as children, but as human beings the overall effect of such stressors effects the body emotionally, physically, and even psychologically as I have experienced.

WAR
In countries like Libya, today war is currently in conflict with militias competing for ultimate power and territory. Because of this competition children are emotionally, physically, and psychologically affected by loss, change, exploitation, and exposure to hazards and weapons. Children are fearful caught between the need for survival and death. Libya’s population consists of 2 million children which is 1/3 of its population. For that many children, war is putting children at a higher risk of emotional, physical, and psychological damage in the long run (UNICEF, 2011)
Image result for war in libya  Image result for a sad child in libya

POVERTY
Malawi, located in southeastern Africa is considered on the poorest countries. Due to the lack of government assistance and illegal activities to name a few children are affected by the downfall of their own community. Lacking essential resources and adequate living conditions the need for growth and learning is simply not provided. This dissipates future ambition and heightens low self-esteem. Poverty meaning no food, no medical, and no educational outlets effects children emotionally and psychologically (ex. www.savethechildren.org, n.d.).
Image result for malawi poverty Image result for malawi poverty


VIOLENCE
In countries like the United States, an estimated three million children are abused (ChildHelp, n.d.). This is alarming. Children who are physically and emotionally abused are prone to become withdrawn as adults or become aggressive as their aggressors were to them. Children often experience fear and severe anxiety as well as difficulty forming relationships and building trust. Abused children or children who have witnessed violence create self-image of helplessness or worthlessness as I have.
Image result for abused children  Image result for abused children

ISOLATION
There are many styles of isolation. Isolated by another person or isolating one’s self emotionally and socially can be temporary or chronic. Children in Libya who are experiencing war, children in Malawi who have little to nothing to survive on, and in the United States where children are abused or witness violence can become isolated emotionally, physically, and psychologically. To avoid stressors on any level or in any aspect children use isolation to survive -to hide.
Image result for children isolated                      Image result for child being yelled at by parent

LAST THOUGHTS
Despite the world’s diversity, cultural differences, or what goes on on one side of the world than the other stressors are unavoidable in childhood. Every child experiences one traumatic event at some point. It may be temporary or it may have a lasting impact emotionally, physically, or psychologically.
War for me was war between my parents. Children in Libya are experiencing greater wars. I had water and food and education as I got older but children in Malawi have little. This breaks my heart. And children in the United States (and in other parts of the world) are victims of all kinds of abuse and witnesses to violence such as domestic. For me, I was one of them but I was able to rebuild myself and find who I was. Some children are less fortunate.

Works cited
Child Abuse Statistics & Facts. (n.d.). Retrieved from ChildHelp: http://www.childhelp.org
Malawi. (n.d.). Retrieved from Save the Children: http://www.savethechildren.org
The Effects of Domestic Violence on Children. (n.d.). Retrieved from Domestic Violence Roundtable: http://www.domesticviolenceroundtable.org
The Poorest Countries in the World. (n.d.). Retrieved from World Atlas: http://www.worldatlas.com

Tidey, C. (2011, July 12). Libya's other crisis: 2 million children at physical and emotional risk as conflict drags on. Retrieved from UNICEF: http://www.unicef.org

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story with us. This week seems to be very depressing realizing once again that just like you said "no childhood is perfect"!! And there are unthinkable things going on and happening around the world to children that are sickening. Good for you for rebuilding yourself and finding who YOU are without the "war" happening around you!! You are amazing!!
    Esthé

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esthe. I have realized children are strong and in many cases underestimated by their strengths. Some children don't have the luxury of rebuilding themselves like I did because I had support from other family members. I feel sad for children around the world who don't have anyone and the fact that they wake up the next morning is a show of strength.
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I am sorry for what you went through as a child. No child should have to go through what you went through. I can only imagine how the experiences have shaped and developed you as an adult. You post points out how important it is to remember that terrible things can happen in our own neighborhoods. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley, I think the reasons why I have PTSD and anxiety is because of these stressors and this assignment has taught me that no matter the level of trauma a child faces the psychological effects are the same. Whether these effects stick or disappear varies. I am able to develop fairly but childhood never leaves you.

      Delete
  3. Cassie, wonderful post. I found myself tearing up while reading your blog. I am sorry you had to encounter so much as a child. Thank you for sharing such a heart warming experience. Just like you many children are affected by stressors because of their families and environment. As educators, we need to be the shoulder children can lean on when they are in need of help to deal with stressors. Again, thanks for such a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that as educators we need to make sure children do not have the same negative experiences we had or have. I think why I chose psychology and childhood development is for that reason.
      Thank you Katisa

      Delete
  4. Thank you Cassie Lynn for sharing. Your pictures are impactful also. You chose psychology due to your childhood turmoil. My granddaughter is also choosing Psychology - her dad is abusive and her mother died last year with complications from alchohol.

    ReplyDelete