Monday, March 19, 2018



WHAT WE PERCEIVE AND LEARN FROM CULTURALLY
EDUC 6165

Image result for cultural communication

“In our diverse world, perceptual challenges can present barriers to competent communication, including narrow perspectives, stereotyping, and prejudice” (O’Hair, et al., 2015, pg. 43).
It is hard to ignore the fact that some people (or a lot of people) communicate with me differently because maybe I’m white, maybe I am female, speak English, and have brown hair/green eyes. I see people all the time, every day interacting a lot. Agoraphobia is NOT in my nature… But maybe it’s me? Maybe I am the one struggling to communicate with others… HUMMM?
I live in Houston Texas. With a diverse population, culture is undoubtfully here. I see myself struggling to communicate when I don’t understand another person’s language. Just last week, I went to the hospital to see my friend who just had a baby. I couldn’t find an entrance to the hospital because of all the construction so I asked a worker where to go. He looked at me as I repeated myself. All of a sudden he said, “No Engles” which indicates he doesn’t speak English. Then it got awkward. I walked away saying, “Gracias” still lost. Due to cultural differences and a lack of knowing each other’s languages, communication was difficult BUT I did find my friend and her baby.
From this experience, I do find myself communicating differently but it’s because I am aware, I try to get my “S.O.S” or message across somehow with as much knowledge and curtesy as I can give. I want to learn of other cultures and I know I live in a diverse world so with encounters like this I can only laugh at myself and accept differences.

Image result for getting lost

Strategies to Communicate Better:

  Karl Krayer
  • 1)      Be mindful
  • 2)      Respect
  • 3)      Be accurate with personal perception  (O’Hair, et al., 2015)
Image result for early childhood communication development
Janet Gonzalez-Mena

  • 1)      Look through other’s eyes
  • 2)      Be open minded
  • 3)      Be accepting            (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010)

Related image

These strategies by Krayer and Gonzalez-Mena help families and professionals communicate better when diversity is a trend –not an obstacle. Cultures coincide. I have found these strategies noteworthy and revolutionizing in order to improve my communication skills whether in a classroom or figuring out where the entrance is to a building.

Works Cited
O’Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D.I., & Teven, J. (2015). Real Communication (3rd Ed.). New York, NY: Bedford/St. Martin’s

Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 Strategies for Communicating and Working with Diverse Families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Cassandra,
    Love you quotation at the beginning of your blog. I also like the s strategies that you shared in order to make communication better. I especially like the one that says we need to be accepting. I believe we are accepting of each other that our communication is enhanced. We do not have to look for a motive when that person is speaking to us,we just accept them as they are. Respect is also a very important point. Yes we live in a very diverse world and like you said we just have to laugh at ourselves and accept our differences.
    Thanks for posting.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Laugh often for it is the music of the soul” (author unknown, n.d). My mom taught me this saying and I think it applies to all we learn about communication. If we can’t find the positive side of ourselves how do we communicate with others who are different? We have to be good influences and what better way than to accept, laugh, and love?

      Delete