Wednesday, March 7, 2018




COMMUNICATION IS INFLUENTIAL
EDUC 6165
My mom and I <3

I asked my mom a simple question, “why do we communicate?” –like her and I do. My mom told me because it’s a joy to say “I love you”, express emotion by words, to dance, sing, slap hands, thumbs up… My mom told me we communicate so that we have one another. Wow.

With that said, my mom is someone I truly know who is a competent communicator, she knows competence. Growing up, my mom has taught me to love, read, dance, braid, (somewhat) cook, fold towels- you name it, my mom taught me everything through communication. This ideal form of communication is known as relational context. According to early childhood professionals, relational context exhibits relationship (like my mom and I) of past history, expectations, shared experiences, and maybe a tad influence of genetics (LOL).

Communicating with my mom, her behaviors promote optimism, freedom, charismatic charm, and openness to support and opinion. Her behaviors to communicate impact effectiveness of desire and motivation as I see in myself toward personal and professional goals I aspire every day. Because of relational context I have opportunity to grow and learn from one of the most influential people I know.

As I have learned from my mom, I only hope that my optimism and supportive behaviors, in fact, model her so that I can be just as inspiring. I owe it to my mom to treat others as I am treated. Through communication’s relational context I see and believe I can achieve success in the field of Early Childhood Education where communication (to me) reflects my mom’s competence and skills.

Works cited
 O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J. (2015). Real communication (3rd. Ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

8 comments:

  1. Cassandra.
    What a beautiful relationship that you have with your mom. Love her statement ‘we communicate so that we can have one another” (Richards, 2018). Such a simple but loaded statement. We have shared a few classes and I've always been impressed with your discussion post and your blog post. I can see that your mom has taught you well and you have truly emulated her optimism and supportive behaviors. Keep listening to and keep communicating the way she talked to you and you will be phenomenal.
    Great blog.
    Angela.

    Reference:
    Richards, C (2018). Communication is Influential. Blog Post Week 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela for the feedback! It is the people we are endeared by that allow us to communicate effectively.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the amazing relationship you have with your mother . It great to have someone that you communicate in special way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meaghan. We all have that someone that gets our jokes and can read right through us. In this case, my mom knows me best!

      Delete
  3. Dear Cassandra,
    thank you for sharing about your amazing mother. It is such a reminder for me as an EC practitioner that to communicate with children is sharing emotions and feeling as well. It is important to make children comfortable to share their feeling and express it to us as their "parents" in the classroom.

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I never thought that we can “parent” to children but I guess that’s what we do aside from teach and assess. Hummm, maybe because of my mom I chose this career path!
      Thank you Diah!

      Delete
  4. This is a awesome and very influential experience. The words you use to express your mother and how you were taught to communicate is influential as well as inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My blog is my journal and I put my emotions on screen. This week, this is what I got. I can’t help but share my inspirations. :)

      Delete