Thursday, April 12, 2018



“Tuckman’s Stages” to Team Work
EDUC 6165


Image result for bruce wayne tuckman
According to Bruce Wayne Tuckman, former theorist and researcher of group dynamics, believed that in order to achieve effective communication in the context of team work it takes 5 stages. These stages consist of:
1) forming- group selection and introductions
2) storming- shared visions and goals
3) norming- agreement and accepting visions and goals
4) performing- progression
5) adjourning- completing goals.
                                     (Abudi, 2010)
Image result for bruce wayne tuckman

Each stage shows audience that positive motivation, feedback, support, and active listening can in fact transit effective communication. Not one stage is more important than another because without forming there is no storming and without norming there is no adjourning (for example). It is a structure that needs all its parts.

Tuckman suggested in his research that as team work kicks off, orchestrates, and ends members of the team begin to feel a closeness to each other which makes adjourning possibly the most difficult stage since emotions become involved and take control. As Dr. Randi Wolfe states team work is relational therefore, yes, emotions are involved and can empower effective communication as visions, goals, and completion avail (Laureate Education, 2011).

I remember crying my last day of 3rd grade, excited to leave Jr High, and scared to graduate high school. I cried happy tears when I was accepted into my first college, excited I made Dean’s List, and scared to begin online classes for my Master's…. Because I believe I had or have a team behind me as I have journeyed through education I feel now that Bruce Wayne Tuckman’s ideal stage of adjourning is the hardest only because there is a comforting sense of self and inclining rewards as team support and build progress with relationships, visions, and common goals in mind. Ending a relationship- a journey- is difficult.

Emotions have carried me thus this far and as I am nearing my Master’s Program this year I can admit I feel just as sad and excited as I felt when I was younger. My friends, family, and colleagues have showed team work and value of team work to me. I have learned that in anything we do personally and/or professionally we are part of a group- a team- whether we realize it or not no matter context. My educational experiences have involved tremendous amounts of team work and I thank all those involved.

Works Cited
Abudi, G. (2010). The Five Stages of Team Development: A Case Study. Retrieved from http://projects-mart.co.uk/the-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Team Building Strategies [Video File]. Retrieved from http://class.waldenu.edu

5 comments:

  1. Cassandra,
    Thanks for your informative blog. Yes, adjourning is the hardest. It comes with so many types emotions. You're excited, afraid, happy, sad, apprehensive. While there is a sense of accomplishment there's also a sense of sadness because something that we hold dear is coming to an end. The norm has been interrupted and the relationships that were formed will no longer exists in that particular fashion.
    Thanks for posting.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you bring up the idea of emotions because I feel that so often emotions get in the way of team work, trust, perception and reality. Emotions are what drive us, good or bad. Yet, they are what get the best of us. Adjourning is an emotional task. But if we can find the best in it is that not worth it? Or even if we have learned tough lessons and the adjourning is not as great as we anticipated can we still learn, love and move forward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. I think it is how we use our emotions when it comes to team work and communication that make completing a task good or bad or how we adjourn. In addition, I think that we can still learn, love and move forward even if adjourn is bothersome. Every member of a team has to be positive despite the many obstacles.
      Thank you again Kaylla,
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete
  3. Great post on the five stages of a group. You are correct that every member of a team has to be a positive despite the many obstacles. No matter what we do we are always a team and look forward to prospering in the future. I look forward to see all of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Cassandra,

    Since you wrote about your experience in the 3rd grade, I also want to share that I enjoyed being the part of basket ball group, when I was in junior high school. Yes, being part of the group, is not only the group, where we work as a professional, but also a group, where we start and reach goals together.

    Great Post.

    ReplyDelete