Wednesday, January 31, 2018


Awareness of Microaggressions
EDUC 6164

Image result for quotes about discrimination in early childhood

Microaggressions happen even when individuals are unaware of what they are saying or what they are doing toward members of other groups. Without knowledge of what microaggression is I couldn’t possibly share this blog or begin to straighten up my own bad behavior.
I am a learner. When I observe, I learn. This week I learned that microaggression is an onset of bad behaviors such as showing discriminating or prejudice attitude to others different than your own group or preference without even realizing it in some cases. I observe people because I love differences, I love insights, and hearing stories. However, it is unfortunate that I found myself showing microaggression without any intention to dismay anyone….
I work in a very diverse workforce and I remember telling my coworkers that I like “this group” rather than “that group” because “this group” is easy, friendly, and patient in contrast to “that group”. It was wrong of me to say this because I was referring to cultures. It was a brief exchange but it now makes a great impact on my outlook toward other people, groups, cultures, etc.
If it weren’t for this week’s assignment, I would not have recognized the unintentional behavior and messages I was sending. This helps to build my own awareness of behavior and attitude when it comes to teaching and sharing with children and families in the field of Early Childhood Education and Studies.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cassandra,

    same here. I feel like at some point, without purpose, I would handle a child with A cultural background differently than a child with B cultural background, without thinking, what comfortable for the child is. Of course, I should consider other factors as where the child grew up, in what kind of society she/he live in, and many more factors.

    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete