Wednesday, January 24, 2018


Getting a new perspective
EDUC 6164

This week I played reporter. I gave myself opportunity to find new perspective on different cultures other than my own American culture. Because I work in a very diverse atmosphere it was not hard at all to find individuals asking them to define culture and tell me what diversity means to them.
Here is my report….
My interviews
Martha is Hispanic. Her culture consists of celebrations such as the Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos), Tamale Day (Dia de La Candelaria), and Christmas (Navidad). Martha explains to me in her own language that culture to her is celebration of family, friends, and Hispanic history. Values, traditions, ethics, and memorabilia’s are a part of celebration. Additionally, Martha believes diversity is the ability to adapt to new surroundings in new society despite cultural differences. No matter what, celebration brings cultures and diversity together.
Image result for hispanic celebrations

Moving on, my boss Roland is Dutch. He shared a story with me of his upbringing in Holland and  that he moved to the United States when he was 12 years old. I asked Roland what culture meant to him and what he told me was that culture is simply expressions. What we do, how we communicate, and the ways we work involves some kind of expression. Of course, different expressions. Roland believes diversity is in the workplace but we don’t notice (which is true). Working in relations, diversity is not recognized, it is just there. HUMMM….
Related image

Lastly, I wanted to ask the same questions to someone I have never met, someone I never talked to. I ended up meeting Aleksandr from UKRAINE! HOW COOL! What Aleksandr told me about culture is that culture brings social identities together, simply put. He then told me diversity is the “crust” of culture that holds the coming together of identities. All views, opinions, communication, activities, productions etc. come together in some way. Wow.
Image result for handshakes


Aspects and insights of culture and diversity

I gained new perspectives being a reporter this week. Culture is celebration, expression, and a coming together. Diversity tags along. It is a result of differences. Understanding culture and diversity through new perspectives has influenced or even enticed my interests of cultural differences, languages, ideologies, and stories. I would use this experience to share the importance of learning of new places, people around the world so that I can broaden my own professional attitude working with children and families in the field of Early Childhood. Ultimately, embrace others as I have learned this week. 
Image result for diverse classrooms early childhood

6 comments:

  1. Cassie, I appreciate the detail you have given this week's blog post because sometimes I feel it can be easy to read thoughts or opinions and forget reality if we do not see it in front of us. So thank you for the picture reminders. At the end of your blog you said that you have learned to embrace others. How would you suggest that I practice embracing culture and diversity? How do you plan to embrace culture and diversity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kaylla,
    I plan to embrace culture and diversity as it comes to me. Accepting and knowing differences, learning from others, and just listening is all it takes to embrace. No hate, no ignorance. I suggest the same for others. If we listen to others regarding their culture, their beliefs, and experiences we can find what pathways we want to practice.
    Thank you for the response.
    Cassandra Richards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie,
    Enjoyed reading your blog. Great point made by Roland about diversity in the workplace. As Early Childhood professionals we often have overlook that aspect of diversity as we tend to focus more on what's happening within the schools. Love the graphics :-) I I agree with you also that this week has really given me new insights regarding culture and diversity. I want to be able to focus on deep culture and to have a deeper appreciation for diversity.
    Great post.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela,
      It’s not often my boss is insightful (LOL) but he was right on point. Thank you for the feedback!

      Delete
  4. Hi Cassie,
    All I can say is "wow". You nailed cultural diversity in your interviews.I can feel the enthusiasm in you post. The great details, vivid photos, strong hand shake, and diverse children with smiling faces.I do not get to interact much with people from diverse cultures, but I enjoy watching cultural celebrations on television. This class has really intrigued me to learn more about diversity culture. Great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy,
      I am an enthusiast when it comes to cultures. I really enjoy courses that give me opportunities to explore outside my own culture and what better way then to get out there and learn of others. I live in Houston Texas! It is all diverse and I love it!
      Thank you again for the response!
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete