Thursday, January 18, 2018



My family culture:
What comforts me
EDUC 6164

There are no escapes to change. Everything changes no matter who we are, what we do, where we come from, or how hard we try to keep from making change happen. Every day leads to new events, learning’s, work, and even abrupt catastrophes. As humans, we encounter change big or small.
The purpose of this blog is to see that cultures have one thing in common: change. Children and families who have fallen on hard times due to war, poverty, natural disasters, etc. are placed in situations where finding refuge involves leaving what is familiar such as family traditions and daily routines to a culture drastically different. Change is inescapable.
If I were placed in a situation where I had to leave American culture to a culture I know nothing about I would want to take personal items with me not just for comfort but also to represent my American culture.
Image result for american culture
1. I would want to take my family album. It not only provides my family photos of holidays, activities, and selfies but my album includes the places I have visited within the United States such as Niagara Falls, Philadelphia, PA, Fairbanks, AK, and the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Taking my family album with me gives me comfort and visual aide of the environment I was born into regarding my family culture.

2. I would take my music with me also. Every culture celebrates birthdays, holidays, ceremonies, and rituals through music so if I were placed in an unfamiliar culture I would want to listen to music my mother brought me up on such as Pat Benatar, Michael Jackson, and Garth Brooks. I would want to hear familiar lyrics in a place I know nothing about communication wise.


3. Lastly, I would want to bring my birth doll. My birth doll I have had since day one. Having her with me presents my family culture by the stitching and craftsmanship my grandmother put into the doll before I was born. My birth doll represents Pennsylvanian roots and having her with me not only gives me comfort but symbolizes hugs from my grandma during difficult times and transitions of change.

If I had to give up two of these items, it would be hard because I have a personal connection with each of them. But I would never give up my birth doll. I have protected her my whole life. My photos represent the places I have been, but the memories will last a long time. I enjoy music but to keep my doll I would adjust to new music.

In times of cultural change, it is important to stick to your own roots. It is what remains most familiar to us. But because catastrophe causes abrupt change where children and families are found in different cultural settings, having to sacrifice items familiar to them, there is opportunity to learn, grow, and assimilate to new surroundings, traditions, music, food, and friends. This can help appreciate your own culture by someone else’s as I see most insightful in a time of catastrophe.

6 comments:

  1. Great blog! I love the 3 items you chose (family album, music birth doll). How nice that you still have your birth doll and the comfort it brings you and the symbolization of your grandma and the hard times she had. I am glad to see you would never give this item up!
    I agree having to choose between anyone of those (our items) would be hard. Each item to each of us represents who and where we come from. It’s our memories.
    Even though times and culture change and we grow up and mature, I love to see that we keep certain things close to heart.
    I really enjoyed getting to know you. I am in group 1.

    Gracesinda Duran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Grace. I believe that culture and family complete who we are as individuals and sometimes materials that show up in our lives just feed onto that. This assignment helps me to understand we have to be able to adapt to change,adapt to differences, and learn other cultures because we never know when a child is placed in a different culture and going through the same event where they have to pick and choose. This is a good lesson as professionals to learn from.
      Thank you for the feedback.
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your blog post Cassandra. Oh how I wish I had an item since birth :-) I am saving items from my children's birth for them. I agree with you. Change has no escape route. Things are constantly changing. I have often heard people say that things are just things, however as we learned from this exercise it is not easy to part with things that we hold dear. Hopefully we will never have to make that choice.
    Great blog.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela!
      I am fortunate that I still have my birth doll despite the several moves I have made over the years. She was the first to go with me, buckled up and everything! And your right, when we have to make change we find out what is priority. It’s hard to leave behind what we know but we also have to be open to new things and this particular scenario reminds me that this is what ECE professionals have to do. Be open to new things, new people, new places...
      Thank you Angela for the feedback!
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete
  3. Hello Cassandra,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I like the items you chose, and to read that you still had you birth doll. You know I don't remember having anything that personal as a child. on thing you said that is true "there is no escaping change" To think about it, every day something change. These changes may seem small and unimportant to some, but impact other greatly. I'm glad this course got me thinking more about my own culture and the diversity of my family.It make me think about my children and what values and beliefs I'm instilling within them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is important to be aware of our culture at all times. When I had to think of my own culture last week I actually called my mom and asked her a lot about our culture, family values, and even who our ancestors are because I never considered actually how impacting cultures are. I am more aware now which will help me grow in ECE. I am glad that what I have learned myself shows in my blog and can help others. Thank you for the response!
      Cassandra Richards

      Delete