Monday, January 16, 2017

What is real, What is seen, What makes me who I am


What is REAL


The Velveteen Rabbit


The Velveteen Rabbit is my favorite childhood story. A story of a stuffed animal loved so much by a young boy is an empowering statement that what we feel inside is REAL. This young boy loved his stuffed rabbit so much that despite all odds of being an original shelf toy and discarded by misfortunate events, true love made this rabbit REAL. The Velveteen Rabbit has not only taught me how to love and appreciate others but to also take care of others whether they are friends, family, or stuffed animals. As a child, like the young boy, I loved my animals until their features faded and became ragged. Learning to love is important, especially as a child. Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit (1922) is a great book that I, as an adult now, enjoy sharing with my nieces and nephews as well as other children I have watched grow over the years.

What is seen

Image result for children's drawing in therapy

A child has a vivid imagination. It is through art that a child can express what they feel on the inside exercising their imagination in ways others are left wondering. The image above was drawn by a young student in Turkey. Similar drawings much like this one catches my attention because it can represent the child's expression, behavior, or where the imagination can lead that child. Every child is unique but when it comes to finger painting, using imagination is a key role in child development. It is pictures like this that show us how imaginative a child can be. What do you see?

What makes me who I am 

Image may contain: one or more people and baby
I am a twin. Being a twin makes me who I am because I know no other way of living without reassurance I have someone with me. My twin sister Amber (left) is my rock and my greater influence in life. She has protected me, yelled at me, shared with me, and has ultimately been there for me when I was lost. As children, we did everything together! Today, we still remain close and she will forever inspire me to do great, remain strong, and be myself. 

 Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling 
Amber (left)  Me (right)


1 comment:

  1. I agree that art is a way that a child can express how they are feeling and in expressing their imagination. Art is important in so many areas of development. Art helps with physical, cognitive, social and emotional development. As educators we need to give children the freedom to learn and explore in art. We need to give them the opportunity to create and express themselves. I love looking at children's art and love even more helping children make the art.

    ReplyDelete